Buscar este blog

miércoles, 24 de agosto de 2011

Diez palabras más usadas en la lengua inglesa

WORD

PHONETICS

PART OF SPEECH

SPANISH

EXAMPLES

A

/a/

Determiner

un, uno, una

That is a car, not a bus.

He has a red nose and a big head.

AND

/and/

/en/

/’n/

Conjunction

y

Peter and Jane are my friends.

John is my neighbor and my boss.

She can read and write well.

FOR

/for/

Preposition

por

para

I bought it for US$50.

This is for you. / He works for I.B.M. /

IN

/in/

Preposition

en

My classes are in the morning.

My father works in a bank.

IS

/is/

Verb

‘es’ /‘está’ con la tercera persona del singular (he / she /it) en tiempo presente simple.

He is my father.

She is my mother.

It is my dog.

He / she / it is in the kitchen.

OF

/ov/

Preposition

de

That is the dish of my dog.

The University of Harvard is famous.

ON

/on/

Preposition

en

los

el, los

por

a

Te books are on the table.

My classes are on weekends.

I study on Friday.

He goes to Europe on business.

They usually go to school on foot.

THAT

/dhæt/

Determiner

Pronoun

Conjunction

Relative pronoun

esa, ese, eso

esa, ese, eso

que

(de) quién

que

That book is about English grammar.

That is my German book.

She said that she would come.

The woman that we’re talking about.

That is the letter that I receive yesterday.

THE

/dhe/ OR

/dhi/

Determiner

el, la , los, las

George Bush is the President of U.S.

“Fuffy” is the cat of the Steven’s

The months of the year are twelve.

The tables and the chairs are brown.

TO

/tu:/- /te/

Preposition

Conjunction

a, hacia

para

con

que

He goes to France every year.

It’s ten to six.

I am speaking to you.

I have to go now

Estas diez palabras aparecen regularmente en toda expresión o escrito en inglés. Si usted las aprende bien y la reconoce al ser pronunciada, habrá alcanzado un nivel de comprensión del idioma inglés de hasta un 45% de la conversación cotidiana y de lo publicado en los diarios y revistas no especializadas.

La información aquí ofrecida no es de ningún modo exhaustiva. Le corresponde a usted investigar cada una de estas palabras tanto en su diccionario bilingüe (English-Spanish / Español-Inglés) como en el monolingüe (English-English).

A veces la palabra inglesa no se traduce al español, por ejemplo:

I will stay in Spain for a month. Pasaré un mes en España. [for no se traduce]

He is a doctor. Él es doctor. [a no se traduce]

To lie is bad. Mentir es malo. [to no se traduce pues sólo indica el infinitivo]

She has a red dress on. Ella viste un vestido rojo. [on no se traduce]

I don’t want to say this. No quiero decir eso. [to no se traduce]

Ahora veamos algunos ejemplos más del uso de estas diez palabras y verifique si usted a esta altura puede entender la idea sin recurrir a un diccionario.

She is a woman and he is a man.

I have to say something to you.

She works for J.C.Penney. She is in marketing.

That dog is very brave. It bit me the other day.

Who is the girl that is crying there?

He has to leave for France on business.

That is not good for you, I think.

Aspirine is good for headaches.

What are you waiting for?